Saturday, September 18, 2010

Money, Money, Money, Money!


The Grand Rapids Times

Money is and probably forever will be classified as a dominant necessity in life.

However, people have the tendency of forgetting that it is only one of our many needs to live.

Unfortunately, because money is placed at such a high value the focus on money begins to have a constant battle with the focus on God.

For instance, thousands of people swarm to nightclubs on Saturday night; and they have no problem paying the typical cover fee.

The same individuals go to church Sunday morning and complain or don’t even bother putting money into the collection plate.

The following example raises a very important question.

Is money evil itself or does our decisions create a bad look for money?

As humans we undergo obstacles that alter our ways of living.

For many of us, when we face financial difficulties, we conform to the idea of budgeting.

When we are well off financially, we tend to forget what the word budget even means.

I believe that our decision behind what we do with money when we have it causes us to forget about the meaningful and important aspects of life.

Not only do we allow the amount or lack of money we have affect us religiously.

We also become affected in other ways.

I understand as Christians we should practice the idea of giving whole- heartedly, but first we have to discover exactly what this means.

Does this mean putting three thousand dollars worth of money on rims for your truck and then on Sunday giving the church $1?

Does this mean give the church $500 and not have enough money for groceries for the week?

We have to find a balance!

When I say money has the power to alter our character, I’ll be the first to admit that there have been times in my life when it has.

My attitude used to cause me to not concern myself with the rest of the world; my only concern was money.

I didn’t care about giving back to God.

I didn’t care about others who had to wake up everyday with the thought of struggle on their mind.

I didn’t care about the kid I went to school with that never had lunch to eat.

I advise everyone to come to the realization that money isn’t everything.

We have to be wise about how we use it.

Money can change our lives for the best or for the worse.

One for the week: “Let every priest receive the money from one of the treasurers, and let it be used to repair whatever damage is found in the temple.” 2 Kings 12:5

No comments: