Friday, June 13, 2008

Teens Talk - Put Some Interest On It

By Marcel Gamble
The Grand Rapids Times
June 13, 2008

It is not about how much money you make, in the end it’s about how much money you keep.

Economically times are hard and as they continue to get harder people are not making it easy for themselves to live. An individual’s expenses should never exceed their income.

Statistics and media constantly display African American communities, as struggling communities, when it comes to managing income. We need to put some interest on our money instead of spending it.

I say we because I too struggle with poor spending habits. I know that I should be putting money in the bank for my college education but instead I choose to spend money on the hot new pair of gym shoes that are about to come out.

It’s time for me to cut my spending habits and begin to put some interest on it.

Honestly, at a young age it is complicated to understand the concept that the name brands that we wear aren’t making us any money, they are making a rich person richer. As a youth we need to make ourselves rich and put our money in the bank so that it can gain interest.

I’m not saying that we can’t buy the things that we love, I’m simply saying that we have to begin going about buying those things in a smarter way. Instead of getting the brand new gym shoe as soon as it come out, you can wait until the shoe goes on sale.

Instead of blowing the remainder of your paycheck away on miscellaneous things, be responsible and take out at least 25 dollars and place it in the bank. As it was stressed to me, by the adults in my life, we never know when we are going to need emergency money.

So to my fellow teens, I’m sharing wisdom with you all this week that was shared with me. Put your money up and put some interest on it.

I’m going to leave you all with this, Romans 15:30. “I urge you brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ, and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me.”

We are all at times going to struggle with something. All we need to do for each other is pray and stay strong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcel I talked to you at the Post Office across from the G.R. Times office one day and I told you at that time that you were a great role model for the youth in our community and I'm saying it to you again and in addition to that...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK YOUNG MAN!

Check out grandrapidshiphop.com, they cover Gospel Hip Hop (George Moss won a Grand Rapids Hip Hop Award for 2008). The input of a positive young man like you is needed on that network!