Sunday, February 28, 2010

I Miss Her

The Grand Rapids Times
Adult's Walk
By Marcel Gamble

She use to inspire me to achieve greatness. Now she limits my choices in career goals, and aspirations. To be honest I really don’t know who she is anymore. When I was an adolescent and had my head down she told me to pick it up. I can’t find her anymore like elementary students everyone else constantly cuts her in line. I need her back. There are many others insisting upon imitating her. Her perpetrators tell me that I’m lucky to see a day beyond the age of 20. Her perpetrators tell me that I should be fortunate that they took the time to create an outlet for me. I should be fortunate that I have the ability to express myself in any kind of way no matter the consequences or outcomes. They tell me to think about myself and not to worry about the young minds of potential leaders that I may be corrupting. I miss her because she used to give me hope. She aided me in developing a creative mind. Now she is lost and creativity is defined as a foreign language. Her perpetrators recycle and reiterate things over and over again. She was different; her image was unquestionably vibrant, but her imitators all look the same. It seems as if they are afraid to go against what the norm is and express their inner selves. They all find it acceptable to talk, walk, dress, and communicate the same way. Where did she go I miss her? I miss how she used to discuss unity. I miss how she spoke about prosperity and future success. I miss how she respected other women and identified them as queens. Where did she go, will she ever return? Will she ever come back to teach young men how to be successful fathers? Will she ever return to show young women how to place value on their morals? I need her back to display reality in the world not just fictional and persuasive tales. I need her because I miss her? Hip Hop I need you to come back to me. One for the week: “Every word of God has been proven true. He is a safe-covering to those who trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5

No comments: