Saturday, May 7, 2011

Stop It!


Bin Laden is dead.

Bin Laden is dead has been the latest news craze all over the Internet and through media sources on television.

Why are people devoting so much attention to the death of someone?

I understand that the Osama bin Laden made bad choices as a person and inflicted pain upon others; but why are we all glorifying his death?

Judging him for his transgressions should be a task for God to handle and it shouldn’t be a task for the rest of us to worry about.

Stop it: is what I want to shout because many of us are ignoring issues that should matter and glorifying things that don’t.

As an adolescent I was mischievous and I made some bad decisions.

One day I pulled my pants down and exposed myself on the school bus because someone dared me to do so.

There were consequences to my actions, and I was suspended from school for a few days.

Now, if my story of exposing myself is still the gossip of today, I would say stop it because that would be an example of people giving attention to a small event that doesn’t matter and ignoring worldly events that should be in the spotlight.

I would say stop it because world hunger should be on everyone’s mind.

I would say stop it because sex trafficking and child slavery should be on everyone’s mind.

I would say stop it because child abuse and domestic violence should be on everyone’s mind.

I would say stop it because saving the generations of tomorrow should be on everyone’s mind.

While we are spending weeks discussing Osama Bin Laden’s death like I know we will, there is going to be a young teen out there somewhere learning how to load a gun for the first time.

While we are spending months covering pointless stories, there is going to be young people in neighboring cities dying of starvation and suffering from neglect.

There is nothing wrong with being educated about worldly issues all I am saying is that we can’t forget to come back to our own back yards.

My words of advice to those who are so ecstatic about Osama Bin Laden’s death is, “Stop It!”

Redirect your focus on an issue that matters.

One for the week: But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice. Philippians 1:18

No comments: