Friday, December 28, 2007

Teens Talk - A Life Behind Bars

Teens Talk
By Marcel Gamble

A Life Behind Bars

Millions of Americans are choosing to live with identical housing conditions as criminals. We place numerous locks on our doors and put bars that won’t bend over our windows. Some individuals are persuaded to believe that, if they live a life behind bars, they are invincible to all evil.

Numbers 14:9; “Only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will swallow them up. Their protection is gone, but the LORD is with us. Do not be afraid of them.”

Evil is seeking protection, but God only protects those who are with him. So why are we as Christians placing locks on our doors when we shouldn’t fear evil, but when evil should fear us?

A three-year-old girl, from Indianapolis was shot in the neck while residing within the comfort of her secure and locked home. Living behind locks and bars didn’t save the little girl. How many others are allowing a life behind bars to fail them?The lives that people lead require them to adventure outside of the safe guard of the bars they live behind each day. If they put all their faith into believing that bars and locks protect them, then what do they do when they enact out their daily routines beyond the safety zone of their home?

In Detroit, Michigan, 29-year-old Calvin Tillie was arrested after shooting an 8-year-old girl five times and her mother several times at a Wayne County gas station. Tillie shot the girl five times because she jumped in front of the gun in fear of her mother being shot.

If evil is willing to overlook the innocence of a child and take the life of a child, then living a life behind locks and bars is not a safe life at all. Evil has no boundaries and will seek to prey on those who don’t see God as their protection.

The lost of jobs has forced some individuals to live their lives behind bars. Inflation on the necessities that people need to live has caused people to live their life behind bars.

These events that have been occurring in the economy have forced many to live in fear. They are living in fear that someone may break in their homes for money because thousands of people aren’t putting on the armor of God.

Ephesians 6:11; “Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”

When we put the safety of our lives in the hands of bars and locks, evil always finds a way to lay hands on us. When we take our faith and put the safety of our lives in God, then evil stands no chance against us.

We can’t rely upon padlocks and bars to save us from evil, because then we are putting our lives into their hands and we are stating that God’s protection is not needed. We need to stop living our lives behind bars and begin to live our lives behind God.

I’m going to leave you with this; Ephesians 6:14-16, “Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.”

14 comments:

Tina Kathleen Williams said...

Marcel,

My family and I talk about your articles weekly and we use your articles to study our bible, have discussions about life, and to pray. All these things keep us protected by God whereever we are. The armor of God is always needed whereever we are. WE PRAy.
I hope to see more articles from you even when your off in college because a lot of us go through challenges and changes when we go to college and continue our chritian life. Thanks for the education.

Tina Williams, Age 17, Senior
Grand Rapids Public School

Anonymous said...

Marcel
excellent article! you truly drove your point home with the different scripture references. I hope that not only your life but the lives of others reading your articles will be changed for the better. Keep it up, and may God's hand be over you and over the people you touch now and forever.

Shalom

Charles White

Anonymous said...

Marcel,

As I read the column I really thought about weather I was rembering to put the Full Armor of God on each day and actively practicing it. It really made me think about if others are placing their trust in God when they spend a lot of money for security systems and security doors.

In the past, I read your articles about Looking Out your Window, Part1 & 2. I really enjoyed thoses columns. We can still find joy in the inner city. I am a kid that is growing up in the inner city and I believe that I am a good kid too.

Alyssa
Age 12

Anonymous said...

This article really touches aspects that others ignore. I believe that if more articles that are written about life situations as living life behind locked doors.Can change what we know as life.This article was truly written so people can realize how ridiculous we are becoming and how scared we are of our own kind and its an outrage and its should be known. Marcel great article keep them coming Thanks for doing what you do.

Anonymous said...

Marcel,

I love reading your articles and I am continually impressed by your outlook on life. You address real issues that we all can relate to in such a real way. This article forced me to look at myself and reminded me not to look to earthly protection but to focus my heart and mind on Christ's protection in my life.

You speak the truth when you say that Christ is the only armor that can protect us fully here in this broken world and by equipting ourselves with the armor of Christ we will be eternally protected when this life on earth ends. Continue to strive after God's calling in your life and I pray that no matter where God takes you in the next phase of your life, you will stand firm and present the gospel of Jesus Christ to all you come in contact with.

In His Dust,

Stacey Lambert
Tutor Coordinator at Restorers Inc.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gamble,

Do you live in the Core-City? Will you continue to live in the Core-City? Should we consider these same things in all areas of our lives? We live in a fear driven society. No better critic was Mike Moore from "Bowling for Columbine." I am a firm believer if we continue to ship out we are going ship out community and with that Christ. Our public schools are in example of how are community works. It is a cost bennefit to sleep here but not to live(shop,eat etc). We do that in the Subs. Bennard Taylor is right when he says, "IF you want to go to school in the suburbs you should move there." Our whole culture is screwed up, and where else in the United States are you going to find more Christians. So as Christians we have the opportunity to build great community, even here in the Core-City, maybe better than the suburbs, if we trust that God will keep us safe as we build community.

Your comments are right on sir. And pray that you will continue to live here or in another Core-City area.

Anonymous said...

Well said, my Friend.
-Mrs A
Bridge the Gap Ministries of North America, Inc.

Anonymous said...

This article shows how we should put our faith in God and he will always protect us.

Anonymous said...

Marcel,

I have very much enjoyed your articles and tie in to scripture. Many days this is the only scripture I get a chance to read and I thank you for that. I can take these messages and tie them into my daily life which is very helpful. Many times during the day I find myself thinking about what you wrote. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next article.

Mr. Lambert

Anonymous said...

Marcel,

I am very proud of you for the way you have educated my self and the community about different experiences that you come in contact with by growing up daily in America as a Chrisitan. I must say I am a little biases about my comment because I am your Aunt, Minnette Gamble.

Marcel your articles make me think about the children I over see in foster care and the challenges they go through in life. It also helps me with the different challenges I am going through.

Marcel this article is a good one because I am a returning christian and believer and I am learning and remembering a lot of things through your writing. It is funny how I strayed away from Church and was miserable for a long time. Your articles help me and challenge me to continue as a true Christian and not backslide or try not to hurt anyone while I am growing and improving my Christian ways. So, Keep it coming, I look at this column as our weekly conversation when we both get to busy with work, school, and resting. I know you never thought you could educate your opininated auntie. I love you so much and remember that your doing good, stay in church, and continue your life journey and God's plan for you will follow in place.

Love, Auntie Minnette

Anonymous said...

wow marcel i must say that was really impressive, not that i ever put it past you but you opened my eyes. you brought some very good issues, that were facing in our everyday lives in america today, that no one talks about as christians. your right if we have god on our side why depend on man made locks and various security systems. we shouldn't need them if we have faith right? and i also want to applaud you on telling me something new i hadn't even heard about those killings. so i just want to say I'm proud of you man that blog not only touched on our current issues and culture but our faith too, keep it up man, your voice should be heard.

-Dennis

Anonymous said...

Marcel your articles are very well written and cause me to think about life as a teenager and a christian. It is a lot of temptation out here and I will also go off to college in May and I will miss your articles and I wonder how we will deal with the college world. Do you have any tips. Because I am excited to go to school and meet more christians that are my age and going through life the right way.
As far as, this article I always pray, study, and learn different things when I read your article and than go to the bible and read the rest of the scriptors. It is so amazing and cool that you have this gift to share with the community. Do you do any speaking to youth at different churches? I think that would be good. I attend New Hope and I see you all the time but I think you need to expand your audience and speak to other youth in churches, school, and continue your articles when you are in college.

By the way, Marcel what is Gods plan for you? I think it is to spread his word and possibly become a Pastor. What school are you going too? I think Calvin would be a good school because you will have a diverse population of students and you will be able to learn a lot and than you can continue with your mentoring at church and your articles in the paper and mentor us. I know God makes our plans so we all have to be care and comply with God's wishes. Thanks Ree Ree

Anonymous said...

Marcel,

This is Ms. J. Davis and I want you to know how much you have helped me with the different troubles in my life. I look forward to all your articles. This one specifically is good because we can all continue in prison through bad relationships, fighting god's plan, financial problems, and our various addictions that we prefer to damage or bodies and minds with instead of walking the Christian way. I continue as an adult to study my bible and participate in church as well as, treating people the right way regardless to how they treat me.

Anonymous said...

Marcel,

I am so proud that as a teenager you study the bible and provide the community with this column. I had to relocate to release my self from my prison and start all over to face my demons. I am a Reverend but I am also a man and I am not perfect and I am still working on my issues. Marcel I will always keep intouch and take care of my friend, and the rest of your family. Please continue in the right path because once you side track than it is hard to get back on track.

Remember we make our own prisons by the life styles we choose to live.

Reverend Bernard Macklin